NEW DATES for September and October For Puppy Classes are LIVE IN OUR PORTAL. CLICK HERE for instructions to SIGN UP for our customer booking site (click to create a new account if you don’t already have one). Here you can put in you and your pet’s information, access our waitlist and view our current class listings!
*Masks during classes are mandatory at this time.
[8 weeks - 20 weeks of age]
PUPPY Socials are one-hour play-dates with other puppies aged 8 WEEKS to 5 MONTHS. We, and you will supervise your puppy while they engage in different real-life scenarios such as loud noises and unique stimuli, and even a little training in the mix.
Learn how to recognize when your puppy is having a positive experience, and what to do if your puppy is shy, overwhelmed, or over-excited.
Early socialization is one of the most beneficial things you can do for your puppy. K9 Kind offers a program that can truly benefit your puppy in those important development stages.
Socialization experiences and life-lessons at a Puppy Social:
- Bite inhibition (Gentle Jaws).
- Exposure to various objects, noises and life experiences.
- Socialization with people and other puppies.
Classes are held at the Little Red Church in Comox.
CURRENT OFFERING for Puppy Socials:
September 30th from 4:30pm-5:30pm
October 23rd from 3:45pm-4:45pm
August 7th from 4pm-5pm – FILLED!
WAITLIST if these dates don’t work for you.
[8 weeks - 16 weeks of age]
PUPPY KINDERGARTEN is for puppies aged 8 WEEKS to 4 MONTHS old (age as of the first day of class). The Puppy Kindergarten Class consists of SIX (6) classes, ONCE a WEEK for SIX (6) Weeks, 1 hour classes each. Maximum of EIGHT (8) puppies in each class.
Get the answers and insights new puppy parents need to raise a well-adjusted dog that is welcome anywhere!
Puppy Kindergarten is a class intended to have you and your puppy take part in a training environment and learn about the basics of good manners while also interacting with other puppies. This is not intended as a “play date” class in its entirety. This is a structured environment, with a window of puppy play time. It is fun for both you and your little one with all the treats and praise involved!!
The Time To Socialize Your Puppy Is Now. Early socialization, is one of the most beneficial things you can do for your puppy. A quality socialization during puppyhood can prevent a lifetime of unwanted behaviours and emotional trauma for dogs and the families that love them. We can raise puppies to be more confident, less boisterous, less anxious, or less impulsive. The first 3 months of puppy-hood is the best opportunity we have to shape temperament and prevent behaviour problems from developing.
Learn how to recognize when your puppy is having a positive experience, and what to do if your puppy is shy, overwhelmed, or over-excited, and how to safely socialize your puppy beginning after their first vaccinations.
WHAT YOUR PUPPY WILL LEARN IN PUPPY KINDERGARTEN
- Safe socialization with other puppies
- Gentle jaws
- Prevent fear, anxiety, excitability and/or aggression
- Fear-free visits to the veterinarian and groomer
- Pain-free and fear-free nail trimming
- Noise phobia prevention to common things such as fireworks and thunder storms
- Prevent jumping on people
- Teach your puppy to walk on a loose leash from the beginning
- Teach a reliable recall before adolescence and independence.
- Crate and isolation training (separation anxiety prevention)
- Prevent resource guarding and learn to share with other puppies
- Prevent door dashing
- An abundance of socialization to various sounds, objects and experiences
- You receive a weekly email with supplementary class lessons, which includes a summary of the class and information with additional materials with training tips and about common puppy questions, that you can share with your whole family.
- Puppy Kindergarten Group classes are instructed by two trainers so every puppy gets the support they need to thrive.
- Classes held at The Little Red Church in Comox.
CURRENT OFFERINGS for Puppy Kindergarten:
WAITLIST if these dates don’t work for you.
Private Puppy CONSULTATIONS
Private Puppy Consultations are a chance for you and your pup to learn from a certified professional in a private environment with personal attention. This is a good option if you have specific questions about your puppies’ behaviour or simply prefer the 1:1 attention. PUPPY 1:1 appointments –> You can bring your whole family to this appointment since it is just for you!
We want to help you with every aspect of raising your puppy, and provide new puppy parents with sound, effective and humane solutions which ensure you have the answers and insight you need to raise a well-adjusted dog that is welcome anywhere!
Solutions for puppy biting and the start of good behaviour so your do not have to un-do nuisance behaviour. Start now and START YOUNG!
We can raise puppies to be more confident, less boisterous, less anxious, and less impulsive. Most behaviour problems are preventable.
The first 3 months of puppy-hood is the best opportunity we have to shape temperament, and prevent behaviour problems from developing.
We are BCSPCA Animal Kind accredited and CCPDT certified professional dog trainers and we are qualified to identify fear, anxiety, excitability and/or aggression when the signs are subtle and therefore frequently overlooked. K9 Kind can give you the answers and insight you need to raise a well-adjusted and social dog that is welcome anywhere!
- Appointment location at Royston Hall
VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS AT TIME OF CLASS START DATE:
1. If your puppy is 8 weeks (two months) – just under 12 weeks (three months) old – First DAPP vaccination required
2. If your puppy is 12 weeks (three months) – just under 16 weeks (four months) old – First DAPP and DAPP Booster required
3. If your puppy is 16 weeks old (four months) to just under 24 weeks old (six months) – DAPP (Initial DAPP with TWO BOOSTERS) and BORDETELLA (kennel cough).
4. If your puppy is 24 weeks (six months) or older – DAPP (initial DAPP with TWO BOOSTERS), Bordetella (kennel cough) and RABIES.
Nosodes and Titre testing is accepted as well, email us if you have any questions.
Our Safe Socialization Guidelines were created in concert with the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour.
“During this time puppies should be exposed to as many new people, animals, stimuli and environments as can be achieved safely and without causing overstimulation causing excessive fear, withdrawal or avoidance. For this reason, the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior believes that it should be the standard of care for puppies to receive such socialization before they are fully vaccinated.
Because the first three months are the period when sociability outweighs fear, this is the primary window of opportunity for puppies to adapt to new people, animals, and experiences. Incomplete or improper socialization during this important time can increase the risk of behavioral problems later in life including fear, avoidance, and/or aggression. Behavioral problems are the greatest threat to the owner-dog bond. In fact, behavioral problems are the number one cause of relinquishment to shelters.
Behavioral issues, not infectious diseases, are the number one cause of death for dogs under three years of age. While puppies’ immune systems are still developing during these early months, the combination of maternal immunity, primary vaccination, and appropriate care makes the risk of infection relatively small compared to the chance of death from a behavior problem.
Veterinarians specializing in behavior recommend that owners take advantage of every safe opportunity to expose young puppies to the great variety of stimuli that they will experience in their lives.
Puppies can start socialization and kindergarten classes as early as 7-8 weeks of age. Puppies should receive a minimum of one set of vaccines at least 7 days prior and a first deworming. They should be kept up-to-date on vaccines throughout puppyhood.”
~ AVSAB American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior
PUPPY SERVICES HAPPEN WHERE?
Register for any of our services before your puppy even comes home to ensure that you get a space.
Classes start every 2 to 4 weeks.
When you register for any of our puppy services, you receive online training solutions to puppy biting, house training, crate and isolation training, and socialization so you can start training your puppy right away!
SO WE CAN NOTIFY YOU WHEN NEW CLASSES OPEN FOR REGISTRATION
HOW MUCH IS IT?
(ALL PRICES INCLUDE GST)
* PUPPY SOCIALS - $35 per playdate
* PUPPY KINDERGARTEN - $250 (6 Classes)
* PRIVATE PUPPY CONSULTATIONS - $120 per session